Monday, November 8, 2010

Goldman trader shares three big ideas with Lloyd

From ZeroHedge.com:

To: Lloyd Blankfein
Re: Winning the Public Relations War

Six months ago, with what I mistakenly took to be your tacit approval, I attempted to address ordinary Americans, almost as equals. They envied and resented our firm; I sought merely to correct their misunderstandings about Goldman Sachs and send them on their way, so that they might more briskly resume their quest for gainful employment.

In hindsight, I misjudged their ability to see the reality of their situation, and of ours. At the time I accepted your strong suggestion that I never again try to speak directly to mortals -- or, as you referred to them, “The Morts.”

Now our predicament is suddenly more dire. Ordinary Americans wish to control not just our pay but our core values: We at Goldman have long stood for the right of every prop group to trade against its firm’s customers. If we abdicate that right, who are we, deep down?

In just the past few days many of us on the Goldman trading floor have wrestled with that question. We believe that rather than re-think our core values we should re-think our relations with the American public.

Hence this memo. Your recent non-verbal signals -- your habit of passing directly behind my trading desk en route to the elevators, your selection of the urinal adjacent to my own -- convince me that you continue to value my thoughts.

As it happens, I have recently conducted a thorough study of the culture of ordinary Americans. Please take the following ideas in the spirit in which they are intended: a team spirit.

There is no “I” in Goldman Sachs, or in me. Nor will there ever be. more >>
Michael Lewis worked at Salomon Brothers (another gigantic, rapacious Jewish firm) as a bond salesman, quit, and wrote about his adventures there in the humorous 1989 best-seller, Liars's Poker.

Recently, he wrote a note to those Morts who ignorantly bash Goldman Sachs, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment